Translate

Thursday, October 31, 2013

REVIEW: The Rocky Horror Picture Show


It's raining.  Your car breaks down.  You have nowhere to go to safety, so you walk back to a castle you saw.  But this is no ordinary castle; it's the home of Dr. Frank-N-Furter.  This is the start of the cult classic, The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  Far from normal, this musical takes audiences on a sexual journey to self-discovery.  Weird and wacky with insanely catchy musical numbers, this film is definitely a fun time.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show tells the bizarre tale of Brad Majors (Barry Bostwick) and Janet Weiss (Susan Sarandon) on their way to visit Dr. Scott (Jonathan Adams).  On the way, their car breaks down.  Running through the rain, they end up at the castle of Dr. Frank-N-Furter (Tim Curry).  While there, they get sucked into the odd events of the evening and the grand unveiling of Dr. Frank-N-Furter's creature, Rocky (Peter Hinwood).  The rest of the events lead to a night that Brad and Janet will never forget for the rest of their lives.


This is by far the weirdest movie I have ever seen.  But it is also one of the best musicals I've ever seen.

The music in Rocky Horror is simply fantastic.  It has one of the catchiest albums I have listened to.  And the songs on the album are so well-recognized.  Even if you have never seen the movie, chances are you've heard The Time Warp.  Or you've heard the expression, "Dammit Janet."  The film also features rock musician Meatloaf, who plays Eddie, and sings Hot Patootie - Bless My Soul, which has become a popular song even outside the context of the film.

The acting in this film is also great.  The actors were definitely pushed to do some weird things, and they all coped well.  Obviously, Tim Curry gives a stellar performance as a transvestite.  It's his performance that has truly made the movie immortal and added to the hype of this cult classic.  Richard O'Brien also does a fantastic job as the creepy servant, Riff Raff.  O'Brien also wrote the original Broadway show as well as the film, so I'm sure he knew his character inside and out.  Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick do a good job showing the descent of their characters - from pure innocence to dark sensuality.  But the rest of the cast does a good job as well.  They all add to the weirdness of the film.  I'm sure it was a fun cast to work with and a fun time to film!


For all of its insanity, this is by-far one of my favorite musicals.  I didn't always think it was this good, but I recently was in the live version playing Brad Majors (Yes, I am now biased towards that character!) and had to watch Rocky Horror numerous times.  Each time I watched it, it got better.  It may be more weird than Sweeney Todd, which I also just reviewed, but it's equally good.  And it's even better if you watch it with friends.  I definitely recommend watching this movie, and if you ever get the chance, try to see it with live actors and with an audience.  I guarantee it will be a night that will thrill and chill you!

RATING: 4.5 / 5

This movie is rated R (sexual themes)



As a fun side-note, I just thought I'd share one of my new favorite pictures.  Gotta love Brad Majors! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment